Fire HD 8 Kids Edition Tablet

Fire HD 8 Kids Edition Tablet

Kids Kindle
So many choices!
The Basics: Two-year warranty, one year of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited, and a twelve-hour battery life

This is an amazing little computer. Its case is advertised as "kid proof" and so far it has definitely lived up to that: it has fallen, had food stuck to it, had drinks spilled on it, and been fought over yet it still works the same as the day we got it.

I don't know how many books, TV shows, and apps there are for this (Amazon says 15,000+ and I believe it), but whenever we type a favorite series or character (like "PJ Masks" or "Minnie Mouse") we get a variety of books, games, and shows featuring that character . . . and it hasn't failed me yet!
We first bought this for my daughter for potty training--it was reserved for use in the bathroom to encourage her to take her time and relax. I entered "potty" into the search bar and found a few different apps for her to play--her favorite was Daniel Tiger's Stop & Go Potty app, and two years later she still sings, "If you have to go potty, stop and go right away! Flush and wash and be on your way."

Daniel Tiger
Daniel Tiger is my hero

The best part about the Fire 8 Kids Edition is Amazon Free Time. This app lets me go in on the parent profile and arrange settings, for instance on weekdays between 7:30 p.m. and 6 a.m. the Fire will say "All done for today!" and will not let the child user access anything. I also have it set to limit the amount of time using apps and movies/shoes but reading books is set to unlimited. It is so great to not have to argue about screen time with my daughter--she knows that when the device says that it is all done then she needs to go find something else to do for the rest of the day (I am sure that when she figures out that I control the settings we will have to have a long conversation, but for now all is well).

Amazon FreeTime
Time limits and age filters are my friends!

Bottom line: the Fire HD 8 Kids Edition is wonderful and I highly recommend it. When our son turns two and is ready for potty training he will definitely be getting his own!

Comments