Fisher-Price Corn Popper

Fisher-Price Corn Popper
Corn popper push toy

This corn popper is basically identical to the one that I played with in the early 1980s, and according to the internet, has not changed much since it was first sold in 1957. It's a pretty basic principle: when you push or pull the corn popper a disc in the middle moves up and down shooting the little balls to the top of the done and creating a banging sound (the website calls it a "popping" sound, but it is clearly a "bang").

Corn popper push toy
Bang! Bang! Bang!

My daughter loved it until she was about three, and now my 1.5 year old son loves to push it around. Sometimes he pretends it is a vacuum cleaner, sometimes it is a lawnmower, and sometimes he just wants to make a lot of noise.

My only complaint is that even though this toy was designed to be used by a toddler and have plastic balls hit the inside of the dome, it gets scratched and scuffed pretty easily. I remember this bring an issue when I was a kid, too (my daycare, as I recall, had a particularly scuffed up corn popper that was so scratched up the balls could barely be seen). Hopefully Fisher-Price will start using a more scratch resistant material before I buy one for my grandkids.

Corn popper push toy
Not dirty, just well-loved
Bottom line: this is the perfect present for a toddler.

Comments